Saturday, October 10, 2009

Sorry, I'm a big old bagel eating Jew. Now get out of my building!


Being a Jehovah's Witness in New York City has to be pretty scary. You knock on strangers' doors all day hoping someone will invite you in to talk about Yussel Punderoff (that's Jesus Christ in Yiddish) and hope they don't murder you and throw you in the river. If you're wondering if Jehovah's Witnesses really exist in the city, I can attest they do because one of them just rang my bell. "Who is it?" I asked. "Hello," said a sugary sweet sounding woman, like we were old buddies and she was just paying me a visit. "WHO. IS. IT?" I asked again, highly annoyed. "Jehovah's Witness" she demurely replied. All I could think was really? Really? Wow. That's a first. I played nice though and told her, "Sorry, I'm a Jew." That was enough to send her on her merry way.

No comments:

Post a Comment