Saturday, October 31, 2009

That's a whole lot of crazy

I thought I'd take a moment to honor some of my favorite crazy people in New York. Some of them are famous crazy people, as in most New Yorkers have seen them at some point, and others are just your run-of-the-mill, homeless crazy bastards that pop up out of no where. Let's see how many you know too.

I'll start with the famous guys. There's garbage bag wedding dress guy, who has constructed quite a fetching dress and a hat out of shredded garbage bags. He's usually around the Washington Square/Union Square area, and I've been seeing him for about 10 years. Then there's the guy with a cat on his head. Yes, literally a cat sitting on his head. He's a new crazy but I've spotted him twice on 23rd and other friends have seen him. Then there's the guy with the scary voice who sounds like he's eating nails that sleeps on the steps of the church on 22nd between 2nd and 3rd. He's usually mumbling something about how Jews and white people are the devil. Last but not least, there's the guy who preaches about the apocalypse on the 6 train that sounds like Mr. Garrison on South Park. "Sinners will burn for all eternity in a lake of fire, mmmmkay?".

As for the random crazy people, my favorite has to be the guy on the subway who looked me dead in the eye and told me "Satan is in my toe nail! You better be at the place tomorrow, ok? You better be at the place." I assured him I would be "at the place" tomorrow and then ran off the train. I sure do hope he fixed that whole Satan in his toe nail problem. There has to be a cream for that. I've also got to give a shout out to the homeless woman who used to hang out in front of Dag Hammerskjold Plaza, who would sing/scream and end the performance by dropping her pants and taking a piss. Thanks crazy people for making this city what it is - a loony bin!

If you are reading this and have your own favorite crazy person, share your story in the comments. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, I love your blog!! Crazy people crack me up (from a comfortable distance). I used to work at a restaurant where one of the regular customers was an absolute nutcase. She visited almost everyday at lunch loaded with shopping bags. She demanded a seat for two despite being alone and then proceeded to order two meals. When her (invisible) "dining companion" would not finish their meal, she freaked, screaming at "them" for not eating, and throwing the plates on the floor. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete